Monday, October 18, 2010

Brown paper packages tied up with string

These are a few of my (recent) favorite things.

Chai lattes - These used to gross me out cause it felt like I was drinking sweet soup - blech. Now, they're the fragrant, warm, foamy, spicy, smooth treat serving as autumn in a cup. I can't get enough.

The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills - This is sheer television delight at it's tawdry best. The mansions are extravagant and gorgeous. The drama is predictable and so easy to solve from my living room couch. The women are all a little alien like and reaffirm my mantra that daily sunscreen is a must. And it's somewhat comforting to see these people with the world at their fingertips, fantastic success, all the treats money can buy (literally) and yet they're not quite content. I'm not sure about how the other "Real Housewives" series are, but this one is definitely worth checking out.

"Up on the Ridge" by Dierks Bentley - This song and it's video remind me of a party I went to in high school. It was at Carina Feebus' house, and we had to walk across a field, behind the barn and through this patch of woods before we got to the bonfire that was set up next to the creek. There were friends, laughter and plenty o' flirting along with the smell of cold night under a indigo sheet of sky punched with silver stars. DB's song with it's marching beat and honkey-tonk instruments grooving to the smooth vocals is an invigorating shout out to youth, patriotism, and country.

New jeans - It took this mom 6 months to brave shopping for jeans after baby was born, and granted the ones I bought are two sizes bigger than what I wore before I got pregnant, but oh, the sweet feel of crisp new denim hugging the booty and a waistband stopping well below my belly button rather than a span of lycra making every inch of my torso sweat is heavenly.

Blogs that are awesome - Here are the three that when a new post pops up, I smile. "Girls gone child" is just cool. I find the majority of "mom" blogs obnoxious, but this one is written by a girl you actually want to be friends with. Plus, she gives occasional fashion and beauty tips that are easy to adopt. "Smitten Kitchen" has the most delicious recipes and her pics are fantastic. Absolutely makes me want to get into my kitchen and get creative. "1000 Awesome Things" is simply that. It's different snapshots of life, like perfectly stapling through a thick stack of papers or being slobby in a hotel room, that every time they occur put the awe in awesome.

Switching my winter & summer wardrobe - Every year I make myself put my favorite items for each season into storage until they're realistically ready to wear again. Not imaginarily. Realistically. No, Megan, as much as you love that cable knit v-neck sweater, you are NOT going to wear it with jean shorts during the summer to an evening softball game like the girl in the Urban Outfitters catalog. While it's a bit sad to put my favorite pieces into those big tupperware bins, it is a treat to unpack them again 6 months later. Plus, I get to purge the old & unwearable and either trash it or give it to my sissy so she can then flaunt her perfect size 2 body in my clothes. That's always greeeeeeat. Still, the idea of getting a newish wardrobe twice a year and reorganizing my closet is one of my faves.

No comments:

Post a Comment